Thursday, April 14, 2011

Junk for treasures!

So tomorrow starts a crazy weekend garage sale where friends have been able to clean junk out of their homes and even better raise money to bring home an orphan to us.  An Ethiopian treasure!  It is amazing the junk we collect over the years.  I personally love the feeling of giving up things.  It makes me feel lighter, more mobile and free.  That is why I love garage sales.  And this is why I love Jesus!
About 18 years ago God ripped open my heart and asked me to turn over my junk so that he could give me His amazing treasure.  I think about the 19 year old girl that was exhausted from the same old routine of chasing things in this world to try to satisfy me and always ending up so empty.  I remember so vividly a cool day in San Fransisco, when some new acquaintances of mine took me to the board walk to eat clam chowder in sour doe bread bowls.  Oh how I would kill for one of those tonight!  While we were walking a homeless man asked for money.  The girls I was with went and bought him a hot dog and drink and began to share about this God of theirs.  What happened was that I felt the power of God in them as they shared and he spoke to my heart that he had a treasure for me if I would just lay down my junk.  That night in my hotel I talked with God and gave him my sorrow, my dreams, my fears, my attitudes and ultimately my life.  He gave me a relationship with HIMSELF, This almighty God who spoke heavens into place.  He has given me an amazing ride for the past 18 years.  ( ok I gave up my age) 

If you haven't traided in your junk for Jesus do it now, you will not regret it!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking my junk and using it for the adoption. It is amazing the freedom you feel when you listen to God.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you. Your encouragement is valuable to us!